Re: Tenants Receiving a Duplicate Bill

As you may already know, The Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County (MAWC) has recently made some changes and they will no longer put the water account in any future tenant's name. The account must stay in the property owner's name and they will be the only one to receive the water bill.

At the Municipal Authority of the City of McKeesport (MACM) the sewage bills have always stayed in the property owner's name but we have always sent a duplicate copy of the bill directly to the tenant. When a new account would be opened, the water authority would send us all of the new information including the new tenant's name. We would then open the sewage account and automatically send a duplicate copy of the sewage bill to your tenant. With the changes taking place at MAWC we will no longer receive the tenant's information from the water authority, therefore we can't automatically mail them a duplicate bill.

Because of these changes, it is very important that either the landlord or the tenant fill our our Duplicate Bill Request form and return it to our office before or shortly after a new tenant moves into a property. This will guarantee sewage bills are received in a timely manner.

We suggest that all landlord's have a duplicate bill form available when signing a lease with a new tenant. Please keep in mind that this is only for new tenants. Tenants that are currently residing at the property will not need to fill out this form.

If you have any questions, please call our billing office at 412-673-0850. Our office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm, excluding holidays. Thank you.